II Samuel 12:7-8
Nathan told David, “Thus says the Lord God of Israel:
– ‘I anointed you as king over all Israel’ and
– ‘I delivered you from the hand of Saul’
– ‘I gave your master’s house to you and your master’s wives to you’
– ‘I gave you the house of Israel and Judah, and if that was not enough…
– ‘I would have given you even more.’
These are the words of a ‘frustrated father’. He lists what He has done and that He would have done more.
Then He asks what any father would ask, ‘Why?’
II Samuel 12:9
“Why then have you despised the word of the Lord by doing what is evil in His sight?”
despise – ‘to look down on with disrespect; contempt’
David’s multiple choices were more than lust and lying – these choices showed disrespect and utter contempt for God.